The heavenly bliss which is known as the Queen of the Hills was once a lush forest comprising of oak, rhododendron and deodar where the people of Bhattaand Kyarkulivillages grazed their cattle. One particular Mansoor shrub (cororiananepalensis) grew in abundance hence the villagers named the ridge as Mansuri. There were about seven flat lands on which cattle sheds of the villagers existed and the narrow Surkanda-Bhadraaj pilgrimage route dissected the ridge. The same track, which is said to be once overflowed by six natural springs, is the present Mall Road. The Bhatta and Kyarkuli villages still exist as gateways on the Dehradun-Mussoorie highway. It was during theearly1820s that Captain Frederick Young of the Sirmour Battalionventured out on a horse from Rajpur into the Mansuri ridge. As the region was rich in exotic flora and fauna, Captain Youngalong with Sir F.J. Shore built a shooting box around the Camel's Back Roadarea in the year 1823. Later, Captain Youngmade the first residence in Mansuriwhich he named Mullingaarafter his county in Ireland. The pleasing climate of the ridge, which bear a resemblance very much to that of Irish and Scottish highlands, was chosen as best for a healthy sojourn and subsequently, the Landour Sanitariumwas established. Talks about the newly found hill resort soon got spread to the farthest and many more Brits, that included officers of the East India Company, renowned writers, artists and entrepreneurs followed suit resulting into the formation of Landourand Mussoorietownship. Eventually,Mansuriof the local pahaari people became a haven for pleasure and gaiety with the Queen of the Hills as its new identity. The fun and galore that enthralled the days and nights of Mussoorieconsequently lured the princes and the nawabs of the Indian states who left no stone unturned to acquire striking locations where they got built their impressive chateaus and bungalows which still exists in and around the town. The Queen of the Hills stretches majestically east-westwards overlooked by the Greater Himalayas in the north and cradled by the vast Doon Valley in the south and thus forming a buffer zone between the ultra-modern life of the plains and the tribal belt of Jaunpur-Jaunsaar. Gradually, the Hillman from the villages of neighboring Garhwal, business community from the plains and the Bhotia and Gorkhali people began immigrating in pursuit of commercial opportunities. After the Chinese occupation of Tibet in the year 1959 a number of Tibetans got settled in the Happy Valleyarea turning Mussoorie into a harmonious culmination of a unique social setup. However, the very essence of the Queen of the Hills is loaded with the romance and charm of the colonial times which still beckons through its tranquility.