Visitors to Mussoorie can easily take the air, rail or road route to reach the hill station. If you are flying by air, you can arrive at the Jolly Grant Airport (60 km) at Dehradun. The aisport has regular flights connecting to New Delhi and Mumbai India's capital city. After your arrival at the Jolly Grant Airport, you can easily reach Mussoorie by bus, taxi or a private cab.
Reaching Mussoorie by rail is a good option. Closest railhead from Mussoorie, Dehradun is quite well linked with India's major cities like Mumbai (Maharashtra), New Delhi, Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh), Howrah (West Bengal), Amritsar (Punjab), Haridwar (Uttarakhand), Rishikesh (Uttarakhand), Indore (Madhya Pradesh), Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh), Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) etc. The railway station at Dehradun is just at 35 km from Mussoorie and regular buses and taxis are available to reach the hill station.
The Hill station of Mussoorie is also easily accessible by road. It is quite well connected to all the major cities in the state of Uttarakhand and outside. State Transport Buses ply regularly connecting Mussoorie to different key destinations of the country. From major cities like Delhi, private cabs and taxis are also regularly available for reaching Mussoorie.
Geography of Mussoorie
The verdant hill station of Mussoorie is located at an average altitude of 6,600 ft/ 2,000 m in the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand. The city of Mussoorie falls in the Dehradun district of Uttarakhand. To its north east stretch a range of snowy peaks while picturesque Doon Valley and the Shivalik Ranges are located to its south. As per the Census Report of 2001, Mussoorie recorded a population of 26,069. Currently, Mussoorie is inhabited by around 34,000 people.
Around 56% of this population are males while the rest 44% are females. It is interesting to note that the average literacy rate in Mussoorie, which is 79%, is higher than the average national literacy rate of 59.5% in India. The hill station lies within easily striking distance from Delhi, the capital city of India. Due to its excellent geographic location, the hill station of Mussoorie also serves as the gateway to Yamunotri and Gangotri, much popular Hindu shrines in north India. The shrines of Yamunotri and Gangotri along with Kedarnath and Badrinath make up the chardham, four higly sacred destinations of the Hindus.